A TOAST TO 2019
Remember 2019? Apart from boasting no global pandemics, it was an excellent vintage for white varieties in Constantia. Cool temperatures led to a long, slow-ripening season and the ideal harvest conditions to produce this exceptional sauv-blanc/semillon blend at Constantia Glen. Elegant and subtle, with delicate aromas fiof lime, green fig, fland floral notes, this wine’s fresh acidity is beautifully balanced with a mouth-coating creamy texture on the palate.
Crafted in Guatemala and aged to perfection in the highlands of Quetzaltenango, Zacapa Rum is a blend of exceptional rums ranging from six to 23 years in age. Wonderfully intricate, expect honeyed butterscotch, spiced oak, and raisined fruit on the palate and nose.
Waterford Distillery recently released Ireland’s very first organic whisky. Distilled from organic Irish barley grown by a small, dedicated band of organic farmers, Organic: Gaia 1.1 is a single-malt whisky matured in a spectrum of fresh, super-premium oak. It is bottled at 50% ABV without colouring, chill-filtration or any additives. “We have placed barley — where and how it is grown — at the heart of what we do, curious about where the real whisky flavour may be found,” says Waterford Distillery founder and CEO Mark Reynier. Barley-forward and terroir-driven, only a limited number of bottles is available in South Africa.
Having been credited with bringing back the quintessential London Dry Gin to its official birthplace and namesake, this award-winning gin is smooth enough for a martini but bold enough for a delicious G&T. Every bottle is handcrafted in small batches by the dedicated team of distillers using traditional copper stills and a classic ten-botanical recipe.
ADD A LITTLE ZEST
Cointreau is a zesty, fresh spirit that’s made from a complex blend of orange-peel essences. It’s perfectly enhanced in this summer cocktail.
COINTREAU & TONIC COCKTAIL
- 50ml Cointreau
- 150-200ml pink tonic or grapefruit tonic
- 1 slice of grapefruit
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 2 cucumber ribbons Pour the Cointreau into your goblet or wine glass and add the grapefruit and basil.
- Give a light muddle and top with lots of ice.
- Add the cucumber ribbons and top with either pink or grapefruit tonic water.
- Lightly stir before enjoying.
• With over two decades of experience in the luxury-drinks market, Wade Bales’ passion is sourcing really great drinks and sharing them with really great people.
• From the February issue of Wanted 2021.